How do you prepare your small business for economic ups and downs?
How do you prepare your small business for economic ups and downs? Is a recession inevitable? And what even is a recession? In this episode, unpack why the economy cycles through periods of boom and bust. I also demonstrate how a similar cycle is at play in the online business space. And I offer some strategies for making sustainable business decisions—no matter what happens with the economy.
- Gates of the Arctic National Park
- Caribou population cycles
- Floating Coast: An Environmental History of the Bering Sea by Bathsheba Demuth
- Mast fruiting
- Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teaching of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- “Are recessions normal?” on Make Me Smart
- Economic cycles on Investopedia
- Spotted lanternfly and tree of heaven
- Timothy Snyder on the Ezra Klein Show
- “The best of all possible worlds” from Candide
- A history of recessions in the 20th and 21st centuries
- Rana Foroohar on the Ezra Klein Show
Article versions of episodes are posted at explorewhatworks.com every Thursday. To get those articles delivered straight to you, free of charge, go to explorewhatworks.com/weekly
Have a question about an episode of What Works? Is there something you've noticed online, in the news, or in your business that you're curious about? Go to zipmessage.com/whatworks! Leave me a message, and I'll try to respond in a future episode!